Your Blink camera captures motion based on heat moving across the camera's field. The total size of heat objects and amount of motion together cause a motion event. Your camera's Sensitivity setting adjusts how much input it takes to send you a notification.
Low sensitivity is less responsive, so a larger amount of heat and motion are needed to cause a notification. The highest setting may cause alerts from blowing leaves or even shadows.
If you are receiving too many notifications with nothing interesting, try turning the Sensitivity down two points. If that is effective, test by arming the system, and walking in the field of view when Motion Detection is on, to make sure a human sized object will trigger a notification.
Be careful if you tap the notification and enter Live View with your microphone or speakers on, significantly loud feedback may occur. Tap mute speaker in the upper right corner of the Live View.
Each camera has an individual sensitivity setting. You can find this in the Camera Settings for each camera in your system.
Choosing High or Low Sensitivity
The sensitivity setting on your camera not only depends on what is making the movement, but how long the movement is occurring.
- High sensitivity means less motion over a shorter period of time will create a notification.
- Low sensitivity means more movement over a longer period of time will create a notification.
The motion can be a big or small object, or a lot of small objects. Motion detection depends on where the object is in relation to the camera lens. For example, a bird flying close to the camera can be perceived as bigger than the person walking on the sidewalk in the distance. A person walking directly toward the camera will produce less motion than a dog walking left to right across the camera's field of view. It's about the amount of motion that's occurring within the detection zone of the camera and not necessarily how large the object is.
Testing sensitivity for your home camera
- Tap More on your camera's thumbnail and select Device Settings .
- Select Motion Settings.
- On Motion Sensitivity, move the slider two or three points to the left towards L, for Low. Tap Save to save this setting and walk out of the frame of view of this camera.
- From the main screen of the Blink app, set your system to Armed to enable Motion Detection.
- Test the camera sensitivity by introducing movement.
- If the sensitivity is not successful, reduce the slider more, save, and try again.
- If you have adjusted the sensitivity to your liking, proceed to test with a larger moving object, such as yourself. Walk in front of your camera and check to see if the setting gives the desired motion alert.
- If the lowest sensitivity continues to cause an unwanted Motion notification, you may need to create an Activity Zone instead. Learn more about setting Activity Zones.